Sunday, April 12, 2009

Flowers, wheatgrass and herbs



The last frost date for my region isn't till May 15, but I just couldn't wait till then. I planted some flowers in a pot right outside my front door. I figured that if the temperature drops to freezing I can easily cover it with plastic or some old bed sheets.







I started these plants from seed. I have here three allyuims, two pearl petunias and three avalanche petunias(cascading types) from Park seed. I have more pots that I can start, but this seems to have quenched my desire for planting for now.




2 purple basil seedlings
1 larger green basil seedling
4 oregano seedlings
I'm waiting till May 15 before I plant these in my garden. Out of all my plants and seedlings, these are the only ones I took out for some direct sunlight, I have too many to be carrying in and out of the house. I wish I can just drive them in and out of my garage in a pick-up, like Annie does(clever idea.) Hopefully soon I'll be able to build a coldframe so that I can harden my plants in.




I just want to share a picture of my wheat grass growing. I started this about four days ago. I simply placed some wheat berries on this tray and I spray it with water a couple of times a day. It will get pretty dense and look like lawn. Then I'll cut it and stick it in a blender or wheat grass juicer. Apparently, it is such a nutritious drink that only 1 or 2 oz is all that is needed to drink in one shot.




2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm growing wheat grass too. A friend gave the the seeds and wants me to test them. I just planted the seeds a couple days ago and they're not up yet. Yours is growing really well and I was wondering how you started it. Did you plant it thick or thin? Did you cover your seeds with dirt? Curious minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl,
    I don't use any soil and I use an old sprouter.
    I lay enough wheatberries till the surface is well covered. Then I just rinse a couple of times a day. You can also try sprouting in a mason jar with cheesecloth over the end. Then it's easy to rinse and drain. I placed my tray in the sunlight for a couple of hours to make my sprouts nice and rich looking(not necesssary.) Check to see if there is any sprouting occuring beneath the soil and if not try a different method and if it still doesn't work...your seeds may not be viable.
    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete