Sunday, April 19, 2009

Gorgeous Day

Today has been a gorgeous day and I was so excited about building the coldframe but unfortunately I didn't get very far. My brother-in-law let me borrow his circular saw but I have to say I'm a little intimidated by it and I'm usually quite comfortable around tools. I don't have the right table for it so I placed the wood on two chairs and I was going to proceed and make the cut in the middle, but it is unstable and I have no one to stabilize the wood for me at the moment. I will have to wait till Mr. H gets home. I also tried using my jigsaw but the wood is so thick I don't want to overwork it.
I also wanted to staple my trellis up on the box frame but I ran out of staples. That will have to wait too.

Some pictures I took today:


Some of my peas









These are just three of my tomato plants out for some sunshine.
One month to go before I plant outside.











Shallots











Rapa centroventina. I received the seeds from wintersown.org
I've never had these greens before, but I've read that they are very nutritious and bitter, so you'll want to cook, steam, or saute them.





















I found two of these mushrooms in my garden this morning. I think my boxes are getting too much water from the sprinkler system. I will have to cut down on the time. Do you guys agree that this is a mushroom?
One thing I do want to share regarding mulching with straw is that you will end up with straw weeds. Luckily it doesn't take much to weed with this squarefoot system because you can just tell the weed doesn't belong there when it pops up in places you didn't plant anything in. So think twice beore deciding to use straw or hay to mulch with. I do like how it looks though and right now it give me something to do in the garden.

2 comments:

  1. I have those kinds of days. Life goes on.

    Georgous tomato plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    So true. Thank goodness for the things that do go right b/c they keep us going.
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete