Monday, March 23, 2009

Grids and Such














Not much was done in the garden this weekend, except for watering and visually inspecting my little kale plants. They seem to being growing so slow, but I believe kale likes to take its time. Patience, Daisy! I've even named one of them my little runt. I did fertilize them with Dr Earth's All Purpose Fertilizer, four tablespoons in 1 gallon of water. I'm considering a gallon sprayer so that I can spray the foliage of my smaller plants without damaging them and I believe it will be much more efficient than just dumping the water on the plants.


I will be adding worm castings as soon as my supply increases. I have a homemade worm bin with new tenants. More on that in the near future.
















I just wanted to show you the grid in one of my boxes. I used butchers twine (I believe that's what it's called) and thumb tacks. I think thumb tacks are smoother, you're less likely to cut your wrist on them, and you can reuse them without even having to remove them.























These are the 1" copper tube straps that I used to anchor the pvc pipes and they are just resting on the ground.





















Miss M planting carrot seeds comfortably on our garden cart. I picked up the garden cart on craigslist for $10 and the compartment was full of good tools. Thank you to the lady that sold it to me.





I also built a trellis for the indeterminate tomatoes and climbing beans. It was so easy to build and inexpensive. I believe they were 1 inch wide and 8ft tall. I cut them with a hand saw and screwed the pieces together. The wood might have been $4.50 for the three pieces. The netting was the most expensive at $5.00.







The trellis netting



I need to do more adjusting as it was very cold and windy the day I was setting it up. I'll be making one more of trellises for the box on the right.





I don't know if you can tell but I've placed a netting around this box to keep the birds and those white butterflies that lay eggs out....and what do you think I found in there the other day..A white butterfly struggling to get out through the 1/2 inch holes. Who knows, it's probably laid a thousand eggs in this box already! So I'll probably be getting plenty of loopers on my greens.
That just means I'll get to spend more time in my garden. I love it, as long as I'm winning the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment